Friday, December 3, 2010

You can rescue a bread machine mistake

I am in the process of waiting for my rolls to rise for the second time. They look plump and will be ready to bake in about 10 minutes or so.

An hour ago though, I thought I had wasted my time, and ingredients trying to make a loaf of bread in my machine. I had checked the dough and touched it at the appropriate time. It was wonderfully smooth and tacky. I could smell the yeast working away as it rose and was really looking forward to a buttery loaf of bread to go with the apple butter I made this morning.

For some reason when I heard the punch down before the second rise, I decided I wanted to make rolls instead. So, I opened the machine and proceeded to shut it off and remove the dough. This would have been the end of the dough cycle had I decided on rolls from the beginning. When I looked in I saw a smooth ball of dough on one end and a pile of unmixed flour on the other. OH NO!! I thought I had wasted all these ingredients. It was a small recipe and as I know from previous times, the Zo* sometimes has an issues with a dough that doesn't fill the pan completely.

I pulled out the dough and quite a bit of the flour. I added some warm water and melted butter (there was already melted butter in the recipe) and kneaded it all in. I formed 4 long grinder rolls and placed on a pan with a towel covering to rise, hoping for the best. Sure enough, they are almost doubled in size and ready to bake.

OK, so I am sorry for such a long post that doesn't have a recipe, but I wanted to give newbies hope. You can repair a bread dough and bread dough on a whole is VERY forgiving. Don't give up, especially if you know your yeast is working.

* a shortened and somewhat affectionate nickname for the Zojirushi Bread Machine.

***

No comments: