Friday, March 27, 2009

Diane's Chicken and Quinoa Chili in Rice Cooker

I am always experimenting with my rice cooker and grains. Today I made something so good for lunch that I have to share it.

Diane's Chicken and Quinoa Chili in Rice Cooker

2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
1 medium onion diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 cup quinoa
1 small can fat free chicken broth
1 small can stewed tomatoes
1 precooked or grilled chicken breast
1 packet Sazon seasoning
1 can corn or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernals

In rice cooker on browning cycle, if you have one, heat oil and add onion and jalapeno pepper to saute for a few minutes. When soft add cumin and quinoa, stir to coat. Add chicken broth and tomatoes. My chicken breast was fully cooked, but frozen so I put it in at this point. If yours is cooked and cold, you might want to also put it in at this point. If it's cooked and room temperature you could wait till the end. If you want to cook the chicken in the rice cooker, you can chunk it up in 1 inch chunks and also add it at this point. Add the Sazon seasoning. Close rice cooker and set for regular rice. It will take about 1 hour. When it has 2-5 minutes to go, add corn and stir to distribute. Close rice cooker and allow to finish.

This is SOOO good. Spicy and tasty and very filling. I think this will be enough for 2 lunches or if I had made it for dinner and added another chicken breast it would have been enough for my husband and I both.

It is totally on the WW plan for Simply Filling. I didn't figure out points because I am not counting points at this time.

No comments: