Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rice Cooker Sausage Casserole

I made this last night in my rice cooker. I sauteed the sausage right in the rice cooker, and because I used turkey sausage there was nothing to drain. I added the cheese when the machine switched to keep warm.


**************
Rice Cooker Sausage Casserole

1 lb sausage (turkey sausage worked well)
1 cup rice, uncooked
4 to 5 cups cabbage, shredded (I used green and red cabbage mixed.)
1 large onion, sliced very thin
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cans diced tomatoes (I think the original calls for small cans, but to use it in the rice cooker I used 3 cans and 1 can of water.)
1/2 to 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
salt & pepper to taste (I don't salt anything and cheese is plenty salty enough for the flavor.)

Fry the sausage breaking it up into small pieces. drain thoroughly.
In a 9x13" dish, which has been lightly greased with vegetable shortening
or olive oil, scatter the uncooked rice. Arrange the shredded cabbage over the rice
and spread the slice onions over the cabbage. Sprinkle sausage evenly
over the onions and pour the tomatoes undrained, over the sausage.
Cover tightly with a aluminum foil and bake in a 325° oven
about one hour. Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese (if desired) and
return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and
starts to brown.

No comments: