Sunday, June 22, 2008

Diane's Barley Pilaf

Today for dinner we had BBQ ribs and I wanted something different than rice to go with it so I invented a Barley Pilaf that was awesome. I cooked it in my rice cooker.

Diane's Barley Pilaf

1 cup pearl barley
3 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup mixed dried vegetables (I buy them from bulkfoods.com - it includes potatoes, carrots, green pepper, onion, parsley)
1 tablespoon WOW seasoning (It is a seasoning mix from the Ingredient Store, chicken bouillon based, with many herbs and spices; it's flavorful, but not spicy or hot.)
1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas or 1 can baby peas


I melted the butter with the olive oil in the rice cooker. Added the cup of dried mixed vegetables. Stir to coat and soften. Add barley and stir to coat with fat. Add wow seasoning and water. Close rice cooker and cook on rice setting. For the on/off variety turn on. When rice cooker turns to keep warm, add peas. Close and let steam for 15 minutes to heat peas through. Fluff with the rice cooker spatula and serve.

There is left over and I am going to use it with my eggs tomorrow morning to make an omelet.

No comments: