Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memories of a dark day

One bright clear September morning, I was working from home. Well, it wasn't my home exactly. I was at the Pocono home of the man who would become my husband a few months later. He was off to work and I was lounging with my dog and a cup of coffee, waiting to take a conference call for work.

I remember making myself comfortable and turning on the speaker phone. I remember dialing into the bridge. I don't remember what the call was for however, because at this point the world changed. Someone on the bridge said "I just heard on the news, that a stray plane flew into one of the World Trade Center towers." Within minutes, the call ended as we all flew to our news sources to learn of the disaster that had befallen us.

I had no TV access at all. I did have radio though, and that is how I spent the rest of my day. I tried news sources on the internet, but I couldn't get through to any of them. It was true, the USA had been attacked by faceless, nameless enemies.

Nine years later, I wake up on 9/11 and still feel a small amount of the terror I felt that day. My heart still aches for those who lost loved ones in those towers. My mind can't fathom the courage and heroics of the fire and police responders who put their lives in jeopardy to save strangers. They do it all the time, and it is amazing each and every time.

This is a day of reflection and somber thoughts. It is also a day to celebrate freedom and family. Of course the way I celebrate always comes back to food of some sort and I will be posting more about food shortly. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this 9th anniversary of a dark day in my life.

*****

No comments: