Sunday, July 1, 2012

July is National Ice Cream Month!!


Ice Cream! 

Those words alone make me happy!  Ice cream is its own food group to me.   I like it all ways, but mostly I like it plain.  I don't need syrups or sprinkles.  I don't like chocolate so hot fudge is not on my list.  Just give me the ice cream, with perhaps some whipped cream on top!  After all, the whipped cream is just ice cream that hasn't been churned yet.

I have many fond family memories involving this frozen creamy concoction.  One that I will recall is going out to a Carvel ice cream stand on Oregon Road in Cortlandt Manor.  I was about 7.  Aunt Lee was with us and sitting next to me in the back seat of our 1960 green Chevy.  Now, Aunt Lee was a "special" lady.  She could tease and taunt without mercy.   So, she began by saying "I think I will have some vanilla and some chocolate and some butter pecan and some strawberry."  Her list went well beyond those four.  And then, she looked at me and said "You, can only have a small one with one flavor though!"  What a thing to tell a child!

Since that day, I have made it my mission to eat as much ice cream, as often as I can!  So, tonight, I think I will have a full pint of some exotic flavor in her honor!

No comments: