Here is our dinner tomorrow night. One of the great things about it, is that you can start with dried beans and 4 hours later, you have a full meal. My rice cooker has a slow cook setting.
Slow-Cooked Baked Beans in a Rice Cooker
Serves 6–8 as a side dish and 3-4 as a main meal.
- 3/4 lb thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced into coins
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cook the bacon over medium heat in a medium-size skillet. When the bacon begins to brown, add the onions and kielbasa and sauté until translucent.
- Place the beans into the slow cooker with the water, bacon, kielbasa and onion. Cover and set the slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Combine the molasses, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After 3 hours add the sauce and stir to combine. Cover and let the beans cook an additional hour.