Monday, March 31, 2008

Historical Cooking



Ever wonder about cooking in colonial days? I do. Imagine having to keep the fire going all day and spending every waking moment preparing food and doing laundry, never mind taking care of the kids and sewing their clothes. Oh, and did I mention taking time to be with your husband?

I watched a TV mini-series special on PBS once about life in colonial times. It used to seem interesting until I saw the show and realized how physically challenging it was. I would still like to try it sometime, but I don't think I could do it alone.

But, the recipes are still very interesting. Many stews, soups and pot roasts using all sorts of game meats. Long cooking times helped tenderize tough game and also spread the food out to last longer and feed more. Every day bread was risen and baked.

No comments: